5 Reasons to use an ABFPRS board certified surgeon for facial plastic surgery
Selecting a surgeon to perform any type of cosmetic surgery on your face and neck can be a very daunting process. Fortunately, there is an important selection criteria that is already available to you – the surgeon should be board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS). Why? This is an elite group of surgeons, which specialize in the face and neck area. Only surgeons who meet the following stringent criteria can qualify for ABFPRS certification:
- Before obtaining ABFPRS certification (which has additional requirements noted below), the surgeon must first have already earned prior board certification from the American Board of Otolaryngology, the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. This requires completion of a residency in Otolaryngology/Head and Neck surgery or Plastic surgery after completion of medical school. That means your surgeon will be double-board certified when they receive ABFPRS certification.
- The surgeon must pass a rigorous 8-hour written and oral examination on facial plastic surgery anatomy and surgical techniques. The examination is the concluding activity of the AAFPRS Foundation fellowship program and the first step toward certification by the ABFPRS. There are only about 45 fellowship programs across the United States, which is an additional full year of training specifically in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery.
- A surgeon must have been in practice for at least two years and submit for peer-review a minimum of 100 operative reports of facial plastic surgeries.
- He/She must prove that they operate in an accredited facility.
- The surgeon must currently hold the appropriate licensure and adhere to the ABFPRS Code of Ethics.
Why is this so important to patients? Because you want a surgeon who specializes in the face and neck, not a surgeon who prefers to do hand surgery or breast surgery. In addition to being ABFPRS board-certified, Houston facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Russell Kridel is also a Board Examiner. Because of his expertise and reputation, he is one of a handful of facial plastic surgeons that has been selected to actually give the board examination to surgeons applying for certification. Dr. Kridel is also a Fellowship Director for the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS) Fellowship Program. Dr. Kridel’s fellowship program is one of just 45 sanctioned programs across the United States and Canada and one of only two programs in Texas. He has received the highest honors for his surgical expertise in facial plastic surgery by his peers. Needless to say, your face and neck will be in great hands with Dr. Kridel. -
-- Kirin, Facial Plastic Surgery Associates, Houston